Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Katakana Analysis (Draft).

#1. Hisamitsu Mask
          -
スクワラン ,  コエンザイム, ダブルでカバー
          -foreign words/technical terms/emphasis(?)

Notice how some words are written in Hiragana but others are written in katakana. Here katakana is not only used for foreign scientific terms like: "squalene" スクワランand "co-enzyme" コエンザイム but it is also used for words like "double cover" ダブルでカバー . Double cover is written here in Katakana but it is not a scientific term. It is written in katakana (as the way it sounds) to emphasize that the corners of the mask overlap creating a "double cover" seal. This is emphasized this way because it is the "selling point" of this brand of mask.



#2. Shiseido Anessa Sunscreen
                     - プロテクター ,  シミプロテクト , ダメージプロテクト
                     -Emphasis/foreign words

This product is a sunscreen that gives daily protection from harmful UV rays. However, "protection" in Japanese is ぼうえいor えんご. Here they use Katakana to spell out the word as it sounds in English: "protector" プロテクター. This is used in order to emphasize what the product does. Also when listing the types of protection they follow the same style. For example, シミプロテクトmeans spot protector and ダメージプロテクト means damage protector. What is really interesting about this is that spot in Japanese is しみ but here it is written in katakana, not hiragana. This too is for emphasis in order to get the high points of the product across to the consumers.


#3. Shiseido Aqualabel: Deep Clear Oil Cleansing
                     - プラ ,
                     -Emphasis


Notice that the recycle symbol uses Katakana for "pure" プラ instead of the Japanese word さいじゅんかん or the foreign word Katakana リサイクル for recycle. Here the manufacturer used this strategy in order to emphasize the importance of recycling the product once used. My hypothesis is that they use the word "pure" to emphasize how well the product recycles. Also a reason could be the short hand term for "plastic" written as "pura" in order to create a nice short national symbol that is cheaper to reproduce than spelling out the full term in katakana.

How is Katakana explained in Japanese Textbooks?
           Japanese textbooks explain that katakana is a form of writing used in order to express 1) foreign words or loan words, 2) sounds or onomatopeia, 3) express emphasis, 4) for technical terms.

Some differences from these textbook uses occur in real life situations. For example:
      1) Names
               -Some choose to write their first or given name in katakana instead of the
                traditional or widely used Kanji or even Hiragana.

      2) Products/Ads that target younger audiences
               -Since youngsters are in the process of learning Kanji, ads that target them use
                a combination of simple katakana and hiragana.

      3) For aestetic purposes
              -Some use katakana not really for emphasis but because it looks better on a
               product or advertisement.

7 comments:

  1. Laticiaさん

    おもしろいですね!
    I like your findings in differences from the textbook explanation and the real life situations. Katakana words could be used for aesthetic purposes and/or products/ads that target young generations. What kind of products/advertisements do you think Katakana words would make more aesthetically beautiful? What do you think about ads/products targeted older generations? It might be interesting to look into them! From your point of view as a non-native speaker of Japanese, do Katakana words also look like they make things more beautiful?

    TA さとう

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello and thank you for your comments! :)

      From my point of view, I find that Katakana looks very clean and simple (not nearly as complicated as kanji), while Hiragana looks cuter due to its mostly round shaped characters. Perhaps since I have not mastered Kanji yet, (I have only mastered Hiragana and Katakana), my focus when looking at the packaging of products is held when primarily Katakana or Hiragana is used. However when there is a lot of Kanji, it is not as aesthetically pleasing to me so I completely ignore those products (say in a Japanese grocery store as I am skimming the shelves).

      Delete
    2. From the point of view of a non-native speaker of Japanese, I think hiragana words look really pretty, I wish it was used more often than it is.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Laticia san. Lots of Japanese cosmetics. Good for you! I agree with your analysis. They are all foreign words. Well, I have one question. Why do the cosmetics companies tend to use foreign words instead of Japanese words in their products?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First of all I think that they want to target a broader audience. Secondly, cosmetics are a HUGE industry ( big money maker) in Japan as women (and men) are always seeking better cosmetics ( or more exotic ones). Sometimes in their search they start to look at cosmetics from other countries that may be better or have some groundbreaking formula. When you think about it this way, I think that Japanese companies are trying to "win" back this audience by using this method.

      Delete
  4. Hi Laticia-san, I also have the 'pura' as part on my analysis. I think though that 'pura' is more likely the short form of plastic (according to wikipedia). But it's an interesting thought that they shortened it because it was cheaper. It could also be that they shorten a lot of english words as Jocelyn-san says.

    I also feel that they should add to the textbooks that katakana is used in corporate advertising because it is pretty widespread. Don't corporate people always want to emphasize everything in general? (salespeople can be ridiculously enthusiastic) I mean if you picked up a novel in japanese would it contain as much katakana?

    Also in the 'spot protector', although there is a word in japanese for spot, they might have written it in katakana because 'protector' is in katakana and if you are considering the whole thing as one word it's more aesthetically pleasing if everything is in one alphabet or provides more unity or balance or something.

    ReplyDelete